header banner

Riverbank settlements stay put despite flood risks

alt=
By No Author
DHANUSHA, April 20: During a destructive landslide in Jure of Sindhupalchowk one and half year ago, when Manbahadur Tamang, 63, of Rache village heard villagers panicking, his family took no time in rushing out to safe zone. Or else, the mighty landslide would have certainly claimed the Tamang family whose house was just five meter away from where the landslide had eroded and turned into dam. The settlement was devastated in seconds.

Returning to the same settlement again seemed an impossible deal then. Tamang family was saved by luck. However, time is an amazing healer. The family has ignored the fact that the area is still prone to similar devastation. They have come back and settled down in the same place. However, the return is not a choice, it's a forced choice.


“It's not a choice. What to do? Where else to go?" asks Manbahadur. Since neither local leaders nor the administration has taken any measures in averting locals settling around the landslide-prone area, Manbahadur takes his excuses for granted. Life, however, is certainly in high risk there, it's apparent. His family had lost their house along with nine ropanis of fertile land to the landslide.

Manbahdur's neighbors have no different story. Most of them have rebuilt and some have repaired their houses and started living there few months after the landslide that had drawn headlines for several weeks in major dailies. Ministers and several politicians had paid visit to the spot and shown enough compassion to victims. It had taken much time and energy to the army to break the artificial dam and release the water in Sunkoshi which was posing another and even greater disaster. Even researchers had grabbed the incident to prepare fine papers. According to Rambahadur Tamang, 61, those troublesome days however felt special only in terms of see VIPs at their doorsteps.

“Our houses were not visible then. All were submerged in water. Nepal army's boats could be seen coming nearer for rescue. Many VIPs came here," said Rambahadur. “But now we don't have any choice, other than to return to the same place, despite knowing the impending risk to our lives," he added.

The Jure landslide had claimed 145 lives and had affected five villages of Sindhupalchowk. Houses in Mankha, Ramche, Dhuskun and Tekanpur were fully submerged in water. At least over 200 families were reported to have been rendered homeless. Gradually, the families have been making come back to their settlement in the riverbank of Sunkoshi River. Every one of them is aware of risks, still the resettlement continues, in lack of alternative.

Nohit Mahato of Sarpallo -8 in Mahottari lives in fear all the time. His house in the riverbank of Ratu River is equally prone to flood. The 70 year old man says that he has lived in fear of flood since the time he gained senses. “I have been living with this fear for 70 years now. Living in a house that is situated on a river bank, never lets you sleep," he said. “Though fears subside a bit in other seasons, monsoon brings with it the worst nightmares. You should be ready to be washed away anytime. I have lived so many monsoons, perhaps of sheer luck," Mahato narrated.

Mahato indeed feels lucky to have escaped floods year after year. He feels he's stubborn. “Though I always feared being washed by floods, I never had the zeal to move away from here," he said. Sense of belongingness to the place captured his heart and mind and never allowed him to abandon the place, he claims. “It's not easy to abandon the place where you were born, spent your childhood, and whole life," Mahato opined.
 
Ratu River separates in two tributaries after flowing 30 kilometers  away from its source. These rivers are Aushi and Jangaha. The latter passes just nearby Mahato's house. So far, it has washed away his house five times. He does not exactly remember the date of those disasters. Though many families living in the area have abandoned the area in search of safer locations, Mahato remains there surrounded by hundred hectors of barren land inundated by floods.

Jeetkumari Das of Prakashpur village is among victims of Saptakoshi flood. She had lost her house and all assets to flood 35 years ago. However, Das does not have house in safe zone even today. Neither her long wait for compensation has ended.

Those representative cases of flood and landslide victims speak volumes about the real situation of riverside settlements. In lack of government attention and concern, these communities continue to risk their life and future to impending natural disasters. Even though little efforts are being made by some NGOs, results are not impressive.

Caption:
Nohit Mahato, 70, a resident of Sarpallo -8, Mahottari district rides a bullock cart in this recent picture on the bank of Jangaha River. Though the river's flood has washed his home five times through his lifetime, he continues living on the riverbank.

BREAKER:
“Though I always feared being washed by floods, I never had the zeal to move away from here. It's not easy to abandon the place where you were born, spent your childhood, and lived your whole life" Nohit Mahato



Related story

FLOOD ALERT: Kamala River exceeds safety levels, low-lying area...

Related Stories
SOCIETY

Human settlements near Karnali River at high risk...

Upperkarnali_20191122091229.jpg
SOCIETY

Illegal settlements on riverbanks, geologists warn...

illegal-settlements-oct-29.jpg
SOCIETY

Flood alert raised in Koshi settlements, but no im...

Flood alert raised in Koshi settlements, but no imminent danger
SOCIETY

Flood resilience portal launched

Flood resilience portal launched
SOCIETY

Midnight flash flood inundates Beni Bazaar

Midnight flash flood inundates Beni Bazaar