header banner

Security on East-West Highway still a ‘challenge’

alt=
By No Author
MAHOTTARI/JANAKPUR, Aug 28: At a time when the Tarai has just witnessed a violent turn of events with the deaths of protesters and security personnel in clashes, the strike by the agitating Madhesi Morcha and Tharu organizations, which has entered the second week, remained peaceful on Friday.

Shesh Narayan Yadav, agitation steering committee Dhanusha district coordinator, said they have decided to allow markets to open from Friday evening till Saturday.He said they took the decision with a view to allow people to celebrate the Raksha Bandhan festival without any hindrance.

As the protests continue, security arrangements have become a matter of great concern for the authorities although they claim to have taken the situation under control in Dhanusha, Mahottari and Sarlahi districts.

"We have not been able to provide security to vehicles plying the East-West Highway," said SSP Suresh Bikram Shah, chief of Janakpur Zone police.

According to him, security arrangements have been tightened in and around the district headquarters as the agitating groups have focused their protests on the market centres. He also admitted that security arrangements along the East-West Highway were a challenge for the security agencies.

An additional 160 security personnel have been brought to Sarlahi, Mahottari and Dhanusha districts from the Hetauda Regional Police Office, informed SSP Shah.

Meanwhile, an unidentified group on Thursday night set ablaze three passenger buses parked in Bardibas Municipality-1, Mahottari district.

Two buses, with registration numbers Na 5 Kha 4994 and Na 5 Kha 2694, and a third that had been purchased only recently and was still marked 'on test', were torched at around 10 p.m. after being doused with petrol, according to Area Police Office, Bardibas. The buses had been parked in Bardibas on the East-West Highway since the last five days.

The vehicles belonged to Mukesh Chaudhary of Aurahi VDC, who was asleep at the time in his rented room.

According to the bus owner, the buses were parked some 300 meters from the police station.

"It was a failing on the part of the police that the buses were set on fire just some meters away," said Ranjit Raj Dhungana, a local youth.

Whoever torched the buses may be the owner's enemies, Inspector Chandeshwor Yadav told Republica, adding that the banda enforcers have not taken responsibility so far.



Related story

Local authorities ban disposing of garbage and waste materials...

Related Stories
SOCIETY

Vegetable market blamed for highway traffic conges...

Vegetable market blamed for highway traffic congestion
SOCIETY

Country lacks proper equipment to clear snow

PistenBully_20200115080756.JPG
Lifestyle

KoKo Bop challenge Trending

koko-bop-challenge.gif
SOCIETY

Vetting of security personnel a new challenge in l...

vetting-cartoon.jpg
POLITICS

300,000 security personnel to be mobilized during...

FederalElection2022_20221009133038.jpg